Barlow Cemetery, located at about 480W on county road 400N, is often called
Jackson, Mud Creek or Pratt Cemetery.
Originally deeded from the government to Fred Parsons in 1848, the same 160 acres of
land was then transfered to Jacob Youngman early in 1853. Jacob died in
1854 (buried row 10). His surviving wife Hester Ann (buried row 10) in turn
married Cornelius Barlow who had recently lost his wife Susan (buried row
11). Cornelius and Hester deeded to the trustees of the Methodist
Episcopal Church the land for the cemetery, 15 rods by 8 rods, for $5.00
on 5 Dec 1863. At the same time, the 80 acres surrounding the cemetery was
deeded to John E. Pratt (buried Jackson Cem. row 8). That land has since
been owned by many of Pratt’s descendents and then by others with well
known Liberty Township surnames.
This cemetery has a few loose tombstones. Also, some tombstones
have been temporarily moved to protect them from damage due to falling tree
limbs. The number of stones in some rows may not always agree with that of
the map. Unfortunately, no records exist today for Barlow Cemetery.
2013: Conditionally added Cornelius Barlow. Mr. Barlow is presumed to
be buried in an unmarked grave near his 2nd wife, Susan,
or 3rd wife, Hester. His obituary states he was buried in Jackson. However, in the past
both Barlow and Jackson cemeteries have been collectively called Jackson.